4.11.2012

life as a student

we're all poor.
it's no secret.

let me be honest; 
it can be incredibly unbelievably supremely 
annoying when that is all some people talk about. 
look.
 i get that you're poor
i'm poor too!
 (hey, in case you forgot i'm in the same STUDENT HOUSING as you).
oh, and hey--i also know that it is super lame.
i get it.

but let's be honest (again); i still 'find money' in my 'budget' to buy things.
in-and-out...
target clearance...
fabric...

because why? 
i would go insane without SOME sort of freedom.
plus, i have friends/family who keep having babies...
which means?
gifts!

sure, i could probably be better with our money 
...aka, less 'eating out' 
(i don't feel like it counts when you don't leave your car)
...less scooter-buying (more on that later)
...and less turkey legs at disneyland
(oh, yeah...and maybe less disneyland. 
PSH WHO AM I KIDDING THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN)

but, there are funny ways to talk about being poor,
like the other day i ran into a friend at costco
on april 2nd.
she had a box of diapers and she informed me,
"I have been putting pull ups on {name} for the last week--ones left over
from {older son}
because we had no money to get diapers--had to wait for the 1st of the month.
which we laughed over. 
because it was hilarious. 
because we have all been there.
(don't you love when student loans/grants/scholarships come in late??????)

so, let's all just bask in our awesome, student-life poorness
and have a common understanding that we are all in (pretty much the same) boat.
because, it will get better soon.
right??
*also, please note that we have plenty to live on and plenty to eat with and such. 
we just can't be taking any trips to europe.
or thailand.
or hawaii.
*let's also note that this is not about anyone specifically.
 because let's be honest (for a third time); the majority of people who read this are, in fact, fellow students.

6 comments:

  1. Ha Ha! I LOVE this! Mostly because I too am so tired of people complaining about being poor- especially ME! I hear it come out of my mouth and want to slap myself. Nothing makes you feel poorer then talking about how poor you are (and I'm not even really poor, just needy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. o and guess what, even with a husband with a real job, you are still going to poor because they have to start at the bottom of the totem pole (and possibly pay off student loans and don't get me started on government taxes of their paychecks) some day we can plan a trip together to some far exotic place with our children. it feels like i will forever have to budget my financial life but we are happy and we have all we need and thats all that matters. also you learn to set goals for yourself and learn to take care of your possessions more and save....wow I pretty much blogged on your comment page, sorry....i will stop typing now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this! I love that we have such similar lives! (except for the fact that you are in Cali and I'm in Nebraska, I'm pretty sure we would have a problem with Disneyland as well)

    Being poor sucks, but everyone is poor in a sense and goes through the schooling phase. One day, our husbands will make lots of money being lawyers and we can spend whatever we want on our children and go to Disneyland every month! One day....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being poor SUCKS.

    And that's all I'm ever going to say about that.

    ReplyDelete